This hearty casserole full of classic flavours is the perfect comfort food on a chilly day. It’s packed with beef, bacon, shallots, carrots and mushrooms, which are slowly braised in a rich red-wine stock. Serve with mashed potatoes and simple steamed greens for a delicious family meal.
- Preheat the oven to gas 3, 160°C, fan 140°C. Place a large ovenproof casserole over a medium-high heat, add the bacon and fry for 5-7 mins until crisp. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Working in batches, add the beef to the hot casserole and fry for 2-3 mins per batch until browned all over – you may need to add a little oil to the pan if the meat starts to stick too much. Transfer the beef to a plate once browned.
- Lower the heat slightly and fry the shallots for 3-4 mins until golden, then set aside. Add the carrots, cook for 1-2 mins, then set aside with the shallots.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour into 2 tbsp of the wine to form a paste, then set aside. Pour the remaining wine into the casserole, letting it bubble gently for 2 mins as you stir in any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and dried herbs, along with the reserved beef, bacon and vegetables. Stir in the flour paste and bring to the boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and transfer to the preheated oven. Cook for 2 hrs or until the meat is almost tender. Remove from the oven, stir in the mushrooms, then return to the oven for another 15 mins until cooked through. Sprinkle over the chopped parsley to serve.
Tip: Tuck a sheet of foil under the casserole lid to make a tight seal so none of the cooking liquid can evaporate.
See more Beef recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.