Slow-cooker pork and sausage stew recipe
- 4 pork sausages
- 4 pork shoulder steaks (approx. 500g) cut in half
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large leeks, white part only chopped
For the dressing
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsps plain flour
- 1tbsp grain mustard
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 300ml cider
If you don't have any leeks, try using spring or white onions instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Turn the slow-cooker on. Heat a large frying pan with 1 tbsp of the oil. Brown the sausages and pork steaks on all sides and remove.
- Add the remaining oil and onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and sauté another minute. Add the mustard, cumin, some seasoning and the cider. Stir well and pour into the slow-cooker along with the meat.
- Cook for 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the leeks and place on top of the meat. Ensure meat is thoroughly cooked through with no pink showing. Serve as a stew or with mash and fresh chopped flat leaf parsley.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To reheat and serve, place on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the dish is heated through.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.