Vanilla and lemon ricciarelli biscuits recipe
The best presents are often the ones you make - these vanilla and lemon Italian biscuits are made with ground almonds and vanilla and dusted with icing sugar to create perfect snow-like treats. See method
- 2 medium egg whites
- 200g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 250g ground almonds
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 lemon, zested
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C and line a baking sheet with nonstick baking paper. Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk in a clean, non-plastic bowl for 2-3 mins until stiff peaks form. Sieve the icing sugar into another bowl and stir through the almonds.
- Split the vanilla pod lengthways with a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds, then stir through the almond mix along with the lemon zest. Fold in the egg whites using a metal spoon until you have a thick, sticky paste.
- Dust a clean worktop with icing sugar. Scoop out tablespoons of the almond mix, roll into ovals, then flatten a little. Carefully roll in the icing sugar until completely coated, then transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining mixture, spacing each one 3cm apart.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until slightly golden and cracked, then leave on the tray to cool completely. Will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 2 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Edible Christmas gifts