Caribbean coconut cake recipe
For the pastry
- 300g Tesco Lighter ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- a little plain flour, for dusting
For the filling
- 250g good quality raspberry jam
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- 2 small eggs
- 1 egg white
- 50g icing sugar
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface into a round with 1cm thickness. Use it to line an 8 inch springform tart tin, cutting away any excess pastry. Use a sharp knife to create a teeth pattern in the rim of the pastry.
- Line with nonstick baking and baking beans. Blind bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges start to colour. Remove and discard the baking paper and baking beans. Allow to cool to one side as you prepare the filling.
- Blitz together the ground almonds, sugar and butter in a food processor until creamy. Add the egg, egg white and pulse well until combined. Turn the mixture out into a mixing bowl and add the desiccated coconut. Stir well to combine thoroughly.
- Spread the base of the pastry with a little of the mixture, flattening it with the back of a tablespoon. Spread the raspberry jam on top in an even layer, then top with the rest of the coconut mixture. Smooth the top of the mixture using the back of a wet tablespoon, then dredge the entire surface with the icing sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling is set and the top is golden in colour. Remove and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out and cutting into portions.
See more Caribbean recipes