Marcello Tully’s cheese and tomato aubergine bake will see kids stirring, grating, sprinkling and layering.
- For the sauce, add the butter and the oil to a heavy based saucepan. Add the onion and sweat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tinned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and tomato purée and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Crumble in the vegetable stock cube and add the oregano, salt, pepper and sugar, then stir. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil - certainly worth sharing the work with some of the older kids.
- Dilute the cornflour in the 30ml (1fl oz) water. Stir it all into the sauce. Turn down the heat and leave to gently simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the freshly chopped basil, leaving some aside to sprinkle on top of the finished dish. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Lay the aubergine down on a chopping board and slice into four lengthways. Season each slice with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan and fry the aubergine slices for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the frying pan and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- In a small-sized casserole dish, arrange a layer of aubergine slices on the bottom and then pour over some tomato sauce – leave the kids in charge of layering the bake – the younger ones may need more guidance. Make sure all the cheese goes into the bake and not in their mouths!
- Sprinkle over some of the Parmesan and mozzarella. Repeat the process to make another layer of each.
- Place into an oven set to Gas Mark 3, 170°C, fan 150°C for 25 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle with the reserved fresh basil and serve immediately.
See more Main recipes for kids