Galton Blackiston’s marinated chicken strips with cucumber relish is a sweet dish which calls for help in the mixing department.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl. Mix well to combine and set aside - let the children do the mixing, talking them through the choice of marinade ingredients as they do: honey supplies a rich sweetness, soy sauce is included for saltiness, citrus for acidity and Worcestershire sauce adds a kick of spice.
- Slice the chicken breasts diagonally into 1cm strips. Place in the marinade and mix gently. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cucumber relish. Peel the cucumber and slice in half lengthways, then slice finely into thin strips. Peel and chop the tomatoes, and slice the onion finely. Remove the leaves from the coriander and roughly chop.
- Mix all the relish ingredients together in a bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside – some of the younger kids might enjoy getting involved here.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Once the chicken has marinated, heat a wok or ridged frying pan over a medium heat until hot. Quickly sear the chicken in oil until nicely coloured. Transfer the chicken strips to a baking tray or roasting tin and cook in the oven for a further 5 minutes until cooked through, with no pink showing.
- Remove from the oven and season with salt and ground black pepper. Sprinkle over the spring onions. Spoon the relish onto plates along with the chicken strips. Serve immediately.
Try rapeseed oil instead of seame oil in the marinade.
See more Main recipes for kids
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.