Marcello Tully’s fresh tomato mac ‘n’ cheese is ideal for getting kids to help out with the cheese sauce and stirring things together.
Preheat an oven to Gas Mark 2, 150°C, fan 130°C .
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and run under cold water for 30 seconds to halt the cooking process. Mix in a little bit of vegetable oil - this will stop the pasta from sticking together.
- For the cheese sauce, heat the sunflower oil in a pan, then and add the salt, pepper, mustard and flour, stirring well.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cream. The sauce will start to thicken as it comes to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from the heat – this is a great opportunity for some of the older kids to get involved and see the transition from runny fluid to sauce.
- Add the grated cheese and stir until fully melted – the little kids will love helping out with this 6. In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the sauce, mix well. Transfer to a casserole dish and use a wooden spoon or palette knife to smooth the surface – kids of all ages can help out with this one.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top, in your chosen pattern - maybe challenge the little ones to create the pattern.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the edges and top of the mac 'n' cheese begin to harden slightly and the tomato is cooked. Serve immediately.
See more Recipes for kids
A recipe from the Great British Chefs Main meals collection.