No summer picnic or barbecue is complete without a generous bowl of coleslaw – the crisp shredded cabbage and fennel and creamy horseradish dressing goes with everything from juicy grilled meats to sandwiches. This is the ultimate coleslaw recipe, with all the tips and tricks to make this veggie side dish perfect.
- Use a mandolin or sharp knife to slice the cabbages and fennel into very thin strips. Put in a large bowl and toss with the sugar and salt. Set aside for 5 mins.
- Transfer to a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water to remove the sugar and salt cure. Spread out on a baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels. Don’t squeeze dry, as it will affect the texture of the coleslaw.
- Fill a bowl with water and a few ice cubes; add the spring onion. Swirl around to evenly disperse, then set aside for 10 mins – the spring onion will crisp up and curl into pretty shapes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, vinegar, horseradish or mustard and some black pepper.
- Toss the sugarsnaps with the cabbage and fennel, then add three-quarters of the dressing to the vegetables and mix, adding more to taste. Drain the spring onions and scatter over the coleslaw. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Delicious served with boiled new potatoes and baked salmon.
Tip: Don’t skip the ‘curing’ step. The salt and sugar draw out excess moisture, keeping the veg crunchy and avoiding diluting the dressing.
See more Side dish recipes