Crunchy oats recipe
Serve up a fruit-filled breakfast cereal that the kids will love with these homemade crunchy oats. Similar to a granola, these oats are bound with egg whites to keep them healthy, meaning there’s no need to add lots of oil or sugar. Eat these oats for breakfast with milk, yogurt or just on their own as a snack. See method
- 275g whole rolled oats
- 100g soft dried apricots, chopped
- 75g soft dried figs, chopped
- 60g soft pitted dates, chopped
- 50g dried apple slices, chopped
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 5 egg whites
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C. Line a large baking tray (or 2 medium trays) with baking paper.
- Add all the ingredients except the egg whites to a large bowl and mix together to evenly distribute the fruits, coconut and spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they create soft peaks, then mix into the oat mixture until everything is well coated and starting to stick together.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking tray (or trays), leaving some larger clumps and some smaller. Bake for 40 mins, stirring after 30 mins until golden brown and holding together in clusters.
- Cool completely on the tray, then transfer to an airtight container until ready to serve. The oats will keep for up to 1 week.
Tip: You can easily swap the dried fruits in this recipe for your own favourites, you could keep it simple with raisins and sultanas or try a tropical twist with dried pineapple and mango.
See more Breakfast recipes