Whip up a batch of these bite-size salmon fishcakes for a protein-rich snack or simple starter. Don't leave out our secret ingredient... adding chopped boiled egg gives the fishcake mixture a rich creaminess that works wonderfully with lemony mash, flaked salmon and crunchy broccoli.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 20 mins until tender, adding the eggs to the water for final 10 mins to hard boil. Remove the eggs from the water and cool under cold running water. Peel and roughly chop.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with the lemon zest, then set aside.
- Bring a small pan of lightly salted water to the boil and blanch the broccoli for 2 mins, then drain and refresh with cold water and drain again. Add the salmon flakes, chopped eggs and egg yolk, parsley and broccoli to the mash and gently fold together well.
- For the crust, put the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates and the eggs in a large shallow bowl. Shape the salmon mixture into 16 patty shapes, then lightly coat in the flour. Dip into the beaten egg, then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat. Put onto a plate and cover and chill for 1 hr.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the fishcakes in batches, for 3-4 mins, turning once, until golden and crisp on the outside.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the mayonnaise mixed with the lemon zest and parsley and seasoned well with freshly ground black pepper.
See more Salmon recipes