Turkey burritos recipe
Get the whole family involved with this turkey burritos recipe. Set out the fajita-spiced turkey, spicy taco beans, cheese, avocado and rice and let everybody build their own burrito for a fun family dinner. See method
- 200g long-grain rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 mixed peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 250g turkey thigh mince
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30g sachet fajita seasoning
- 395g tin taco mixed beans in spicy tomato sauce
- 8 plain tortilla wraps
- 200g mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 15g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 50ml crème fraiche
White rice can always be swapped for brown (check cooking instructions for timings)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and fry the onion and peppers for 10 mins, stirring regularly, until the veg are soft and golden.
- Add the turkey mince to the pan. Fry for 8 mins, stirring constantly, until cooked through and golden brown. Stir in the garlic and spice mix. Cook for another 2 mins, then remove from the heat.
- Tip the taco beans into a small saucepan and simmer for 5 mins until warmed through and thickened. Keep warm over a low heat until you assemble the burritos.
- Warm the tortillas in a stack in the microwave for 1 min until soft or toast them individually in a dry frying pan for 20 seconds on each side before stacking to keep warm. Fluff up the rice with a fork.
- To serve, divide the rice between the wraps, then top with the turkey mince and peppers. Add the spicy beans and a few slices of avocado. Scatter over a little cheese, coriander and a small dollop of crème fraiche. Fold up the top and bottom edges, then roll to fully enclose the filling. Cut in half and serve immediately.
See more Mexican recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.