This vegetarian and gluten-free twist on a Tex-Mex classic makes tofu the hero. Coated with a sweet, sticky, spicy buffalo sauce, it's perfect with a fajita mix of black beans, peppers, creamy avocado and crunchy lettuce.
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with kitchen paper. Wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and place a heavy pan on top of it. Set aside for 10 mins to remove excess moisture; drain.
- Meanwhile, put the sugar, spices, butter, hot sauce, half of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter melts. Mix well, increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 30 secs, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the fajita mix, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Add the onion and peppers and stir-fry for 6-7 mins until lightly charred. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3-4 mins until softened, adding the garlic for the last 30 secs. Stir in the beans and heat through. Add the remaining lemon juice, season to taste, then remove from the heat.
- Cut the tofu into 12 slices. Brush a large, nonstick frying pan with a little oil and warm over a medium heat. Fry the tofu in batches for 1 min each side until golden, brushing the pan with more oil as needed. Put all the tofu back in the pan and reduce the heat to low. Mix 2 tbsp water into the sauce, then pour over the tofu and stir gently to coat.
- To serve, divide the black bean mixture between 4 bowls. Top with the tofu, lettuce and avocado, and drizzle over any extra sauce. Serve immediately.
See more Mexican recipes