A fun and healthy twist on fish and chips, the whole family will love these crispy cod goujons served with vegetable tempura. The goujons are baked rather than fried and the 'chips' are made of sweet potato, pepper and courgette, giving a deliciously nourishing meal. Try serving with a sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 400°C.
- Put the flour on a plate, the beaten egg in a bowl, the breadcrumbs on a plate and season them all. Take each strip of fish and toss in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then roughly coat with the seasoned breadcrumbs. Place each fish strip on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile make the tempura chips. First, half-fill a deep pan with oil and heat to 190°C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Just before the oil is hot enough, using a hand whisk, quickly mix together the flour, cornflour, salt and sparkling water in a bowl to make a slightly lumpy batter.
- Dip one-third of the vegetables into the batter and then straight into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes until crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven.
- Fry the remaining vegetables in two more batches. Serve straight away with the hot fish goujons along with a sweet chilli dip, if you like.
See more Cod recipes