Rustle up some authentic Greek souvlaki for the ultimate fakeaway. Succulent pork belly is marinated in lemon, oregano, bay leaf and garlic, served with fragrant butter beans and creamy tzatziki.
- Put the lemon juice and other marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Place the pork cubes in a sealable bag and pour in the marinade. Seal and toss to coat the pork evenly. Then open the bag and reseal, removing as much air as possible. Place the pork in the refrigerator and marinate the meat while you prepare the beans.
- Warm the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the fennel slices, garlic, chilli flakes and fennel seeds and cook over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, until slightly softened. Stir in the tomatoes and their juices and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened.
- Add the beans to the tomato mix with the reserved lemon zest. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the beans are warmed through, squishing them slightly with the back of a spoon. Remove the lemon zest before adding the parsley. Season to taste.
- Preheat a griddle or grill on a medium-high heat. Evenly thread the pork cubes onto four 9-inch skewers; season (if you’re using wooden skewers, you can pre-soak them in water to stop them burning. For some extra flavour, you can even add a dash of white wine and some bruised rosemary and thyme to the water). Place the skewers on the hot griddle for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, put the tzatziki in a bowl and stir in the fennel fronds and tops.
- To serve, divide the bean mix between four plates and top with a souvlaki skewer and its juices, plus a sprinkle of sea salt and a lemon wedge. Add a spoon of tzatziki on the side and serve immediately.
Tip: Pork belly is a great choice for souvlaki as there’s enough fat to heighten the flavour and keep it juicy. For a leaner option, however, why not use the same quantity of pork shoulder?
See more Pork recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.