Quick cherry and almond Christmas cake
Making a Christmas cake at home is quicker and easier with this delicious recipe. Packed full of the rich, festive flavours we all love, this luxurious boozy pud is bound to be a showstopper. Follow this easy Christmas cake recipe for guaranteed success.
- In a large pan, combine the butter, sugar, treacle, fruit, zests, juice and liqueur. Bring to the boil, stirring until the butter melts. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 2, 150°C, fan 130°C. Line a 20cm (8in) deep, loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Stir the nuts, eggs and ground almonds into the fruit mixture. Sift in the flour, baking powder and spices. Gently stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 mins. Reduce the heat to gas 1, 140°C, fan 120°C and cook for a further 1-1¼ hrs, until the cake is deep golden and firm to the touch. If the cake darkens too fast, cover with foil. To test if it’s ready, insert a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked. Remove and leave to cool for 5 mins.[Video:Baking tips - clean skewer,Text:What should a clean skewer look like?]
- Make small holes in the cake with a skewer. Spoon over the extra liqueur and leave to soak and cool in the tin. When cool, wrap tightly in baking paper and foil and leave to mature in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
See more Easy Christmas baking recipes
View full recipe details