1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks ½ tbsp oil (vegetable or sunflower) 2 garlic cloves, sliced 1 x 500ml carton passata 500g courgettes (about 2-3 medium courgettes) 1 x 250g tub ricotta 1 x 125g ball of mozzarella, drained and finely chopped 20g Italian style hard cheese, grated handful spinach (about 60g), to serve
1. Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 mins until completely soft.
2. Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry 2 sliced garlic cloves for 1 min over a medium heat. Add 500g passata and 1 tbsp water and bubble for 4 mins until the tomato sauce has thickened slightly. Pour into a large ovenproof dish and set aside.
3. Use a vegetable peeler to peel 500g courgettes into long strips and lay out on a tray or chopping board.
4. Once cooked through, drain the sweet potato and return to the pan. Mash thoroughly, then allow to cool slightly before mixing in 250g ricotta, half of a 125g ball of mozzarella, drained and finely chopped and 10g Italian style hard cheese, grated. Season to taste.
5. Spread a tsp of the sweet potato mixture along a strip of courgette, then roll up from one end into a spiral. Stand upright in the tomato sauce. Repeat with the remaining sweet potato mixture and courgette strips, nestling the spirals in rows to fill up the dish.
6. Scatter over the remaining half of chopped mozzarella ball and grate over another 10g Italian style hard cheese. Bake for 30 mins until bubbling and golden on top. Serve with a handful of spinach.
See more Budget meals