Cheesy ham and pea risotto recipe
- 750ml ham stock (or chicken stock made from a cube)
- 50g butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 300g Arborio risotto rice
- 100ml dry white wine
- 225g cooked ham, chopped
- 175g frozen peas
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the stock in a small pan and heat until just simmering. Keep warm.
- Heat the butter and olive oil together in a large pan, add the onion and sauté over a gentle heat for 3 mins or until soft, but not coloured.
- Add the garlic and rice and stir until the grains are coated with butter. Now add the wine and cook over a gentle heat for 2 mins, stirring until it has been absorbed.
- Add the stock, a little at a time, stirring fairly frequently until the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, then add more stock. Repeat until nearly all the stock has been used up and the rice is just tender - about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining stock, ham and peas, and gently cook until piping hot. Remove from the heat and stir in half the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with a handful of rocket leaves if liked and the remaining cheese sprinkled over.
See more Italian recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.