Kids will love these mini quiches, which are packed with succulent ham, juicy sundried tomatoes and fragrant basil. Let your little helpers get involved with mixing and decorating. You can make these ahead: cook, then chill and place covered in the fridge for up to two days. When ready to serve, warm through in a medium hot oven.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before using to make it easier to unroll. Roll out the pastry and cut into 4 equal squares to fit 4 x 10cm (4in) fluted loose-bottomed flan tins. Carefully press the squares into the tins, leaving a little pastry overhanging the edges. Prick the base of each with a fork a few times. Chill for at least 10 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Put a circle of nonstick baking paper into each pastry case, fill with baking beans and then cook for 12 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes or until the pastry is turning golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Using a small sharp knife, trim the pastry level with the top of the tins.
- Beat the whole egg, yolk, crème fraîche and mustard together. Add the chopped basil, season and mix again. Kids can help with mixing everything together. Reduce the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 140°C.
- Scatter the ham and sundried tomatoes between the pastry cases, add the egg mix and scatter with grated cheese. Kids will enjoy dividing the ham and tomatoes between the cases and then sprinkling each one with cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until just set in the middle and lightly golden. Serve warm with a fresh green salad.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes in a moderate oven.
See more Baking recipes