These meatballs will quickly turn into a family favourite. Kids will adore making the meatballs (and eating them!), while adults will enjoy the blend of spices and the appetising final result.
- Begin by making the pepper sauce. Heat some oil in a pan on a low to medium heat and once hot, add the peppers and shallots – keep the kids well away from the hot oil. Cook until soft.
- Stir in the purée and stock and season if required. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Take off the heat and leave to cool. Then, pour into a blender and blend until smooth. Keep to one side while you make the meatballs – watch out for little hands stealing a taste!
- To make the meatballs, put the turkey, apple, egg and onion in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the herbs, breadcrumbs and seasoning and mix with your hands until everything is incorporated – little hands will make light work of this step!
- Put some flour on a plate. Form the mix into 24 walnut-sized meatballs, then roll in flour. Keep to one side until required.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- To fry the meatballs, add oil to a pan over a medium heat. Then, drop in the meatballs and fry until golden brown on the outside – maybe do this in batches of 8 depending on how big your pan is.
- Put the seared meatballs into a casserole dish and pour in the pepper sauce to cover. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, serve immediately with pasta or rice, whichever the kids prefer.
See more Main meals for kids
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.