Beef heart ragu recipe
Out of the ordinary yet undeniably classic, this Italian beef heart ragu is mouthwateringly tasty. Order the meat from a butcher and cook exactly as you would any piece of stewing beef: slowly and with wine, tomatoes and herbs. The results will astonish you. See method
- 450g beef heart, trimmed and cut into 3-4 cm strips, rinse and pat dry with kitchen paper
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 500g passata
- 75ml red wine
- 175ml good quality beef stock
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm slices
- 120g swede, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- pinch sugar, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Toss the beef heart in the flour and shake off any excess. Heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion until softened for about 2-3 minutes but not golden. Add the heart to the pan and fry until golden. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer the heart to an oven proof dish with a tight fitting lid. Place in the oven and cook the Ragu for 1½ -2 hours or until tender. Stir occasionally during cooking. If the sauce looks too thin, cook the Ragu with the lid off for the last half hour.
- Delicious served with polenta.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.