Bianca pizza recipe
A favourite in Naples, the white ingredients that give this tomato-free pizza its name add delicious creaminess to the flavourful dough. See method
For the pizza dough
- 600g (1lb 3 1/2oz) ‘00’ flour
- 2g (1/2oz) fast action dried yeast
- 350ml (12fl oz) cold water
- 5g salt
For the topping
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled and kept whole
- 100g ricotta
- 2 x 125g packs Tesco Finest Mozzarella di Bufala Campana
- 2 rosemary stalks, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- To make the pizza dough, sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast in the centre and a little water, just enough to dissolve it. When it is completely dissolved, add the salt and mix through the rest of the flour and gradually add the rest of the water until you have a soft dough.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Rest for 10 minutes and then knead for 2 minutes more. Put the dough into a clean bowl, cover with cling film and leave for up to 24 hours (minimum 8 hours).
- When you are ready to use your dough, divide it into 4 and preheat the oven as hot as 225°C, putting in an upside down baking tray high up to form a flat surface.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onion and garlic until starting to soften. Leave to cool slightly.
- Flour a surface lightly and shape your pizzas using your fingers. Press down the dough from the middle, you can now either rest the dough on top of your knuckles to work the dough and stretch it out or roll out with a rolling pin to about 25cm (10in). When you have stretched your dough out to the right size, place it on a well-floured board.
- Top with the ricotta, onion, garlic and mozzarella. Repeat this with all the dough to create four pizzas. Slide pizzas, two at a time, onto the tray in the oven and cook each pair for 8 minutes until the dough has risen and browned and the mozzarella has melted. Remove from the oven, sprinkle each pizza with the rosemary and drizzle over a quarter of the extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.
See more Vegetarian recipes