Cheesy roasted broccoli with lemony mash recipe
Try something different with broccoli - roast it with garlic and cheesy breadcrumbs until just charred and the breadcrumbs are crispy and golden. Serve with lemony mash and a fresh tomato vinaigrette for a healthy dinner idea. See method
- 2 broccoli heads
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2½ tbsp plus 2 tsp olive oil
- 50g grated Grana Padano
- 30g dried breadcrumbs
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 200g cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Trim the broccoli stems down so they’re about 5cm long, then slice down the stem to cut each broccoli in half through the middle. Using the stem as a guide, cut the broccoli into 4-6 wedges, so the florets keep attached. Blanch the broccoli wedges in a large pan of boiling water for 5 mins. Drain well, then put on a baking tray spaced apart.
- Mix half the garlic, 2 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Toss with the broccoli so it’s coated all over, and roast for 20-25 mins until the stalks are tender and the florets are lightly charred. Mix the Grana Padano and breadcrumbs, and scatter over the roasted broccoli. Drizzle with 2 tsp oil and roast for another 5-10 mins until the cheese has melted and the breadcrumbs are golden.
- Meanwhile bring the potatoes to a boil in a large pan of salted water and cook for 15 mins until really tender when pressed with a knife. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 10-15 mins until golden and softened, add a splash of water if they start to catch. Stir in the remaining garlic and fry for another minute. Remove from the heat. Drain the potatoes well, leave to steam dry for a few mins in the colander, then tip back into the pan; mash well with half the lemon juice and some seasoning. Spoon over the onion and garlic with any oil in the pan, and all the lemon zest.
- Mix the cherry tomatoes with the extra-virgin olive oil and remaining lemon juice; season. Serve the roasted broccoli with the lemony mash and spoon over the vinaigrette to serve.
See more Broccoli recipes