Croque monsieur recipe
Nothing can beat a classic French croque monsieur and here we've used a traditional boule, Finest ham and Gruyère, along with a creamy béchamel sauce to create the ultimate toasted sandwich. Bon appétit! See method
- 12g butter
- 4 slices Tesco Finest oat boule
- 75g Tesco Finest Gruyère, finely grated
- 4 slices Tesco Finest roast dry cured ham
For the bechamél
- 25g butter
- 20g flour
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard, plus extra for the bread
- fresh nutmeg
- cornichons, to serve
- wholegrain mustard, to serve
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- To make the béchamel, melt 25g butter in a saucepan then add the flour. Whisk for 1 min until the flour mix starts to smell toasty. Slowly add in the milk, a bit at a time, whisking until you have a thick, smooth sauce. Add the Dijon mustard, a good grating of nutmeg and season to taste.
- Melt the 12g butter and brush over 2 slices of the bread. Toast under a hot grill until golden and crispy. Turn over then top with most of the Gruyère, ham and a layer of béchamel.
- Spread Dijon mustard on the remaining two slices of bread and place mustard-side down on top of the sandwich. Top the bread with the remaining bechamel and sprinkle over the remaining Gruyère.
- Grill for 4-5 mins until the tops are golden and bubbling. Keep an eye as the bechamel can quickly burn. Serve with cornichons and wholegrain mustard.
See more Sandwich recipes