Katsu chicken toastie
For an indulgent lunch for two, why not try this Katsu sando-inspired toastie? There's golden breaded chicken, katsu sauce, melted cheese, spicy mayo and crunchy red cabbage - everything you need for the ultimate posh toasted sandwich.
- On a chopping board, sandwich a chicken thigh between two pieces of clingfilm (or use a sandwich bag). Bash the chicken with a rolling pin, flattening to roughly the size and shape of your bread. Repeat with the remaining chicken thigh.
- Put the chicken in a bowl and pour over half the katsu sauce. Give everything a good mix, then cover and chill for at least 30 minutes – or for up to 12 hours.
- For the slaw, combine the spring onion, cabbage, sesame seeds and soy sauce in a bowl. Set aside for 10 mins while you cook the chicken.
- Put the flour onto a plate and season well, then tip the breadcrumbs onto another. One at a time, coat each chicken thigh in the flour, then back in the marinade and then finally the breadcrumbs, pressing it down to get inside all the nooks and crannies. Set aside on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the chicken thighs for 4 mins on each side until cooked through and golden all over. Set aside on a cooling rack.
- To assemble your sandwich, spread 2 slices of bread on one side each with butter, then turn them over and spread with 1 tbsp Sriracha mayonnaise. Top each with 2 slices of cheese, a crispy chicken thigh and half the slaw mixture. Butter the remaining bread on one side and place on top of the slaw (butter-side up).
- Gently heat the remaining katsu sauce in a pan until piping hot, then remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and toast the sandwiches for 3 mins on each side, or until the bread is golden and the cheese has melted. Serve the toasties sliced in half with a small bowl of katsu sauce for dunking.
Tip: Marinate and coat your chicken ready for cooking a few hours ahead, then chill until needed.
See more Lunch recipes
View full recipe details