Kids will absolutely love helping with this Christmas baking recipe and will enjoy piping these pretty, colourful mini meringues. Not only are these sweet treats super easy to make, but they are also a wonderful edible gift to share with friends and family this Christmas. The meringues will last for up to a week in an airtight container, stored between layers of nonstick baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Line 2 large baking trays with nonstick baking paper. Put the sugar in a small roasting tin and heat in the oven for 5 mins.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites on medium speed, with a pinch of salt, to form soft peaks.
- Remove the sugar from the oven and tip into the bowl. Whisk on high speed for 8 mins, or until the mixture is stiff. Reduce the oven temperature to gas ½, 130°C, fan 110°C.
- You will need a piping bag with a star nozzle for each colour. Using a small paintbrush, apply three stripes of colouring gel to the inside of the piping bag, from the nozzle to the opening. Fill with meringue mixture and pipe kisses on the trays. Sprinkle with hundreds and thousands. Repeat, altering the colour, if you wish, until all the meringue mixture is used up.
- Bake for 40 mins, swapping the shelves half-way to ensure both trays cook evenly. Leave to cool completely before packaging up.
See more Easy Christmas baking