These pretty pastel-coloured and chocolate-dipped meringue drops are delicate, delicious and a great gluten-free edible gift idea for Christmas. Make up to 1 week in advance and store in an airtight container until needed.
- Preheat the oven to gas 1⁄4, 110°C, fan 90°C. Line 2-3 baking trays with nonstick baking paper. Put the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heatproof bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water. Using an electric whisk, beat for 3 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and continue whisking for a further 5 mins, or until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Divide the mixture between 3 bowls and fold in a few drops of colour gel, until each batch reaches your desired shade. Put the frst batch in a piping bag fitted with a plain 1.5cm (3⁄4in) nozzle. Pipe 10 peaked rounds onto one of the baking trays. Repeat with the remaining batches.
- Bake the meringues for 1½ hrs, then turn of the oven and leave them inside for 30 mins more. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To decorate, dip the base of each meringue in the melted chocolate, adding an extra drizzle to some. Leave to set.
Tip: To ensure these meringues are vegetarian, check the packaging of the food colouring before use.
See more Chirstmas edible gifts recipes