Mushroom and mangetout mee goreng recipe
Literally translating as 'fried noodles', our veggie-friendly take on this Indonesian classic is so easy to make and is sure to transport your tastebuds. Nasi goreng paste gives instant flavour and the spicy blend is a perfect match for the earthy mushrooms, crunchy green veggies and silky noodles. See method
- 250g egg noodles
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, plus 1 tsp extra
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1in) pieces
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 150g Portobello mushrooms, finely sliced
- 150g mangetout
- 3 tbsp nasi goreng paste
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 50g coriander, leaves torn
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
If you haven't got any egg noodles, try using pasta like spaghetti instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a pan of boiling water, cook the noodles following the pack instructions, until tender. Use tongs to remove the noodles, reserving the hot water, and transfer to a colander. Rinse with cold water and drain. Tip into a mixing bowl and use scissors to cut the noodles into smaller segments. Stir in the extra 1 tsp oil and set aside.
- Return the reserved hot water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook for 4-5 mins, until just tender. Drain, refresh with cold water, then drain again.
- In a large wok or frying pan, heat the remaining oil over a high heat until smoking. Add the mushrooms and fry for 1-2 mins, until golden on one side, then stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, until softened. Add the broccoli and the mangetout and stir-fry for 3-4 mins, until the mangetout is tender and the broccoli is heated through.
- Add the nasi goreng paste to the wok and stir through, then add the noodles and the soy sauces. Toss together and stir-fry for another 3-4 mins, until the noodles are heated through. To serve, divide between 4 bowls and scatter over the coriander leaves and sliced chilli.
Tip: Swap the egg noodles for a wheat variety to make this into a vegan-friendly stir fry.
See more Vegetarian recipes