Quick chicken noodle soup recipe
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 75g vermicelli tagliati
- 2 ready to eat roast chicken breast fillets, skin removed and meat shredded
- small handful fresh chopped flatleaf parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion over a low heat for 4-5 minutes stirring ocassionally until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Pour over the stock, 300ml water and bring just to the boil. Stir in the vermicelli and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and parsley and cook for 2-3 minutes to warm through. Season to taste and serve with hot crusty bread.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Make the soup, then leave to cool at room temperature. Freeze (without garnishes or toppings) in a rigid container, leaving a bit of space for expansion, for up to 1-3 months. Reheat either from frozen or defrost in the fridge overnight. Once piping hot, add toppings or garnishes and serve - you may need to add 100ml extra hot chicken stock while reheating as the noodles and chicken will absorb some of the stock during reheating.
See more Soup recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.