Show off your baking skills with this adventurous baking recipe. Delicious layers of light puff pastry, fresh custard and cream all topped with sweet icing and sharp raspberries. A classic European cream cake that will sit perfectly alongside a cup of tea.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200ºC, 180ºC. Unroll the pastry sheet and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Cover with nonstick baking paper and place a wire rack over the top. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, turn the pastry over, replace the baking paper and wire rack, and bake for another 10 minutes or until light golden brown. (This is to ensure that the pastry doesn’t rise too much, so the resulting cakes are neat and not too high.)
- Remove from the oven and, while still warm, trim the pastry edges with a sharp knife. Cut into 3 equal pieces and set aside to cool completely.
- For the custard filling, put the cream, milk and vanilla in a heavy-bottomed pan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl of cold water and leave to soften for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and cornflour until combined. Pour the hot milk over the egg mix and whisk thoroughly.
- Clean out the pan, then pour the mix back into it. Place over a low heat and whisk for 4-5 minutes or until thick. Remove from the heat, discard the vanilla pod and add the softened and squeezed out gelatine leaves. Mix until well combined. Set aside to cool to room temperature, while you prepare the other elements.
- For the cream filling, pour the double cream in a bowl, add the icing sugar and vanilla extract, and whip until it forms soft peaks.
- For the top pastry layer, prepare the icing. Place the icing sugar in a small bowl and add enough cold water - about 1 tbsp - to make a thick paste. Spread a thin layer of icing over one of the cooled pastry pieces. Decorate with raspberries and leave to set.
- Place one piece of puff pastry in a dish the same size. Pour over half the custard mixture, in an even layer, spread to the edges of the pastry. Spread with half the cream. Repeat with another layer of pastry, custard and cream. Place the iced pastry on top, then chill for 3 hours or until completely cold and firm.
- When ready to serve, cut into 8 equal pieces and serve immediately with extra berries on the side.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.