Mini hazelnut choux buns coated in pink icing sugar recipe
For the choux pastry
- 120g plain flour
- 120g butter, cubed
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 50g hazelnuts, blanched
For the filling
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 75g icing sugar
For the garnish
- 25g granulated sugar
- 10g Urban fresh dried strawberries
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Place the blanched hazelnuts in a coffee grinder and pulse until you have a very fine, powder-like consistency. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prepare the choux pastry by sifting together the flour, sugar and half of the powdered hazelnuts in a large mixing bowl. Reserve the rest of the powdered hazelnuts in a small bowl and cover. Combine the butter and milk in a medium saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted. Add the flour to the melted butter and milk mixture and stir until a smooth dough comes together.
- Continue to beat the dough until it starts to pull away from the sides of the saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition, until the pastry is shiny and even. Carefully transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 3cm star-shaped nozzle. Grease and line a couple of baking trays with nonstick baking paper. Pipe blobs of the pastry spaced apart on the lined trays. Bake for 10 minutes until golden and puffed.
- Meanwhile, beat together the butter and icing sugar for the filling in a mixing bowl until smooth. Add the reserved powdered hazelnuts and mix until smooth. Transfer to a clean piping bag fitted with 3cm wide star-shaped nozzle. Remove the choux buns when they are puffed and golden in colour. Leave the cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, split them in half and pipe the filling carefully on top of the bottom halves. Sit the tops on top of the filling. Grind together the dried strawberries and the granulated sugar in a coffee grinder until powder-like in consistency. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl.
- Skewer the choux buns on lollypop sticks and arrange standing up in a stand. Dust the tops with the pink icing sugar and serve immediately.