Jamie Oliver says, "My super-easy shakshuka – gorgeous coddled eggs in a beautiful veg-packed sauce – is just the thing for a healthier brunch that’ll set you up perfectly for the weekend. There’s no faffing around when it comes to this dish – simply throw everything in a pan and wait for the magic to happen." See method
- 2 red onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 mixed-colour sweet peppers
- 2 x 400g tins of quality peeled plum tomatoes
- 4 large free-range or organic eggs
- ½ a bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley (15g)
- 4 tbsp natural or plant-based yogurt
High in vitamin C, which supports the normal function of the immune system
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Peel and finely slice the onions and garlic, then place in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium heat with 1 tsp of oil. Sprinkle over the cumin and cook for 5 mins, or until the onions have softened slightly, stirring regularly.
- Deseed and finely slice the peppers, add to the pan and cook for 10-15 mins, or until soft and sticky.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes, along with 1 tin's worth of water, breaking the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon. Season with a little sea salt and black pepper, give everything a good stir, then turn the heat down to low and leave to bubble away for 10 mins or until thickened and reduced.
- Spread the veg sauce out evenly in the pan, then use the back of a spoon to push and dig out 4 little pockets. Crack an egg into each one, then cover with a lid or tin foil and cook for 3-5 mins, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny (cook for longer, if you prefer).
- Pick and roughly chop the parsley, then scatter over the dish, and dollop over the yogurt. Delicious served with toast or flatbreads for mopping up the juices.
Jamie's healthier swap: "Trade in your weekend fry-up for my beautiful shakshuka – it's delicious and packed with veg."
See more Healthy recipes