Liven up your lunch with this delicious lamb recipe. This wonderfully vibrant salad is packed with spring flavours, including succulent lamb, sweet and earthy root vegetables and fresh mint.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.
- Put the pearl barley in a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes. Top up with boiling water if need be. When ready, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, arrange the carrots, turnips, radishes, beetroot and garlic in a baking dish so that they fit snugly. Scatter over the cumin seeds, season and then stir through the oil and vinegar. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before you’re ready to eat, heat a griddle pan over a medium-high flame. Cook the lamb steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side (depending on how you like it cooked). Remove to a chopping board and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil and season to taste. Slice the lamb and then combine with the pearl barley, baked root veg, dressing, watercress and mint. Serve immediately.
See more Lamb recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.