Mediterranean orzo salad
This hearty pasta salad is bursting with the flavours of the Med: garlic-roasted courgettes, sweet baby tomatoes, zingy lemon and fragrant basil. With juicy prawns, crisp pancetta and creamy mozzarella too, there’s plenty to make this a substantial meal everyone will love.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Tip the courgettes, pancetta and garlic into a roasting tray. Cook for 25 mins then remove, toss with the lemon zest and juice and tomatoes and roast for 5 mins more until the tomatoes have softened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo to pack instructions, then drain and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the vegetables and pancetta from the roasting tray to a large bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the juices behind. Leave the tray to cool to room temperature.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic from the skins and crush or finely chop. Add to the tray of juices with the oil and vinegar and whisk together to make a dressing. Season to taste.
- Tip the cooled orzo into the bowl with the vegetables and pancetta, add the prawns and basil, then toss with the dressing. Scatter with the mozzarella and slow roasted tomatoes to serve.
Tip: This salad is best served at room temperature, but can be made ahead. Make as above but leave out the fresh basil as it will wilt in the dressing. Store the mixed salad in the fridge, then toss through the basil just before serving.
See more Pasta recipes
View full recipe details