This fun and tasty chicken soup will get the kids involved at all levels from helping to mash right through to picking the meat off the bones.
- Place all of the ingredients, except the pasta, into a pan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- As the water boils, skim off the foam and any impurities such as oil or fat with a large spoon. Reduce the heat, cover, and leave to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
- Once the chicken is cooked through and is falling off the bone, remove the pan from the heat. Remove the chicken legs using a slotted spoon and place in a tray to cool.
- Strain the remaining liquid through a sieve into a clean pan. Set the vegetables aside.
- Place the pan over a low heat and bring to a simmer, then stir in the pasta animals and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, mash the vegetables, making sure to pop the garlic cloves out of their skin.
- The chicken legs should have cooled by now – get the kids to pick the chicken meat off the bones and roughly chop.
- Return the mashed vegetables and chicken to the pan. Heat through and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the chicken soup across 4 bowls and serve immediately.
See all Soup recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.