This recipe involves making your own flatbread, which is a great way to teach budding chefs about bread-making. They’ll be spoilt for choice with the dips for their flatbread soldiers, with a prawn and grapefruit, a tomato, and a pesto dip to choose from.
- Into a large mixing bowl, sieve the plain flour, salt and baking powder. Lightly mix the egg, yogurt, oil and milk in a separate bowl. Then add the yeast and mix. Make a well in the plainflour and mix in the wet ingredients. Turn out the mixture onto your work surface and knead well until you have a smooth dough.
- Split the dough into 150g (5oz) portions and get the kids to roll into dough balls. Place them on a tray and cover with cling film. Leave to rest in the fridge for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to gas 9, 240°C or as high as it will go.
- Lightly flour your work surface and place the rested dough balls on it. Roll the balls out into 0.5cm thick rounds.
- Bake the flatbreads on a pizza stone in a hot oven for approximatel 2-4 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Alternatively, cook them in a griddle pan over the stove.
- Remove from the heat and brush the flatbreads with melted butter. Cut into finger-size pieces and leave aside while you make the dips.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- On a sheet of foil, place the cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle the rapeseed oil over them. Wrap up the foil to make a sealed parcel containing the tomatoes.
- Bake the tomatoes for approximately 12-15 minutes or until they are just tender. Take them out of the oven and leave in the foil to cool.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled, place them in a small bowl. Get your little helper to use their hands to crush the tomatoes in the bowl. Add some balsamic vinegar to taste, before covering the bowl and leaving it in the fridge.
- Make the prawn dip by first squeezing the grapefruit juice into a saucepan. Bring it to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer gently until reduced by half.
- Take it off the heat and pass the grapefruit juice through a fine sieve. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, mix the prawns, mayonnaise, parsley and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Gradually mix in the reduced pink grapefruit juice to taste. Then season, cover and leave in the fridge.
- Next make the pesto. First, remove the herb stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Use a blender to blitz on a low speed with the garlic to combine.
- Continue to blend, and gradually pour in the rapeseed oil to form a smooth pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a bowl.
- Serve the flatbread fingers with the three dips.
See all Bread recipes