This family dinner couldn’t be healthier, with brown rice, baked cod and fresh tomato sauce. It’s simple, too, with a couple of opportunities for the kids to get involved. A perfect midweek dinner for four.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4,180°C, fan 160°C. Rinse the rice under cold water and drain through a fine sieve.
- Add the brown rice and 650ml water to a medium saucepan and place over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to the lowest heat possible. Cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring after this time to make sure all the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, get the kids involved by getting them to squeeze the olives between their thumbs and forefingers to remove the pips.
- Place the tomatoes, olives, garlic, capers and sugar into an ovenproof pan and cook gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully place the fish into the pan and spoon over the tomato sauce to make sure the cod is completely submerged.
- Bring the sauce back to a gentle simmer and then place into the oven to cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the cod is cooked through and tender.
- Dish the cod up onto plates along with the brown rice and scatter the basil leaves over the top. Leave the kids in charge of tearing up the basil and scattering – a great way to signal the start of dinner! Spoon over the remaining sauce and serve immediately.
Find out more about the chefs
See more Main meal recipes for kids
A recipe from the Great British Chefs main meals collection.