Cavolo nero and mushroom pasta bake recipe
Cavolo nero is sweeter and more tender than kale, making it the perfect addition to this hearty pasta bake. Packed with greens, mushroom and oozing Cheddar, it's an easy way to feed all the family. See method
- 300g conchiglie pasta
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 250g pack chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g pack Tesco Finest cavolo nero, leaves roughly chopped, stems finely chopped
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 650ml semi-skimmed milk
- 75g lighter mature Cheddar, grated
If you don't have any Cheddar, try using another hard cheese
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Boil the conchiglie for 8 mins, then drain well and transfer to a 20cm square baking dish.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a deep, wide frying pan over a high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the cavolo nero to the pan, season and cook for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the leaves and stems have softened. Add to the mushrooms and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter to the pan to melt. Whisk in the flour, cook for 1 min, then gradually whisk in the milk until fully combined and smooth. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 2-3 mins until thickened. Remove from the heat, stir through most of the cheese and season to taste.
- Add the vegetables and cheese sauce to the baking dish with the pasta and mix well. Scatter with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 mins until golden and bubbling. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then serve.
Tip: Make this a vegan recipe by swapping the butter for a dairy-free spread and the milk for a plant-based alternative. Add nutritional yeast instead of cheese and you're good to go.
See more Seasonal recipes