Cheat's veggie quiche recipe
If you love quiche, but don't fancy rolling out pastry or simply want a lighter option, try our cheat's recipe using wholemeal bread for the crust. It's a brilliant way of using up leftover bread and warm from the oven, it tastes like a real treat, but it's healthy! Give it a go. See method
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 300g Growers Harvest frozen mixed vegetables
- 5 tsp rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 6 slices leftover wholemeal bread
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 125g 30% reduced fat extra mature cheese, grated
- 6 eggs, beaten
High in protein and high in vitamin B12
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Separate the broccoli into small florets and grate the stalks. Simmer the florets in a large pan of boiling water for 2 mins until just tender. Drain well and put on a plate lined with kitchen paper to remove excess moisture.
- Put the frozen veg on a large plate and microwave on full power for 5-6 mins until defrosted and piping hot, stirring from occasionally. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Grease a 20cm round cake tin well. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the onion over a medium-low heat for 3 mins. Add the grated broccoli stalks and cook for a further 3 mins. Mix in the dried veg and broccoli florets and season.
- Flatten the bread slices slightly with a rolling pin and use to line the prepared tin, overlapping slightly to avoid any gaps, coming just over the rim. Mix the remaining oil with the dried herbs and brush over the bread, ensuring you brush the edges and exposed edges on the outside.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 mins, turning the tin halfway. Sprinkle 50g of the cheese on the base to give an even coverage. Return to the oven for 2 mins until the cheese has melted.
- Mix the eggs and the remaining cheese.
- Remove the case from the oven and use a knife to spread the melted cheese to cover any joints in the overlapping bread to create a seal. Spoon the veg mixture on top, using a spoon to spread evenly. Carefully pour over the egg mixture. Put onto a baking tray and cook for 25-30 mins, turning halfway, until set, with no wobble. If the edges are getting too dark, cover with kitchen foil. Leave to cool for 5 mins, season with black pepper, slice in the tin and serve warm.
Tip: Don’t worry if some egg mixture escapes to the outside of the case, it will cook a bit like eggy bread and adds to the character and flavour!
See more Quiche recipes