Cheesy celeriac bake recipe
A fan of classic cauliflower cheese? Try this cheesy celeriac bake recipe for a twist on this winter comfort food. Wedges of roasted celeriac are coated in a rich, melting Cheddar sauce and scattered with crispy onions for some extra crunch. See method
- 1 celeriac (about 700g), peeled and cut into 12-14 thin wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 5g fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200g mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 2 tbsp crispy onions
- 450g frozen green beans
If you don't have any Cheddar, try using another hard cheese
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Toss the celeriac with the oil and some seasoning in a baking dish (about 20 x 15cm and 6cm deep), then arrange the wedges snugly in a single layer. Roast for 30-35 mins until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, put the flour in a small bowl and mix in a splash of the milk until smooth and lump-free. Tip into a saucepan with the remaining milk and most of the thyme leaves. Bring to a gentle simmer over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 8-10 mins until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Add the mustard and cheese and stir for another 1-2 mins until the cheese is melted. Season well and remove from the heat.
- When the celeriac is tender, pour the cheese sauce over it and mix to combine. Turn the oven up to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C and bake for 10-15 mins until golden and bubbling. Cook the green beans in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 mins until tender, then drain well.
- Scatter the celeriac bake with the crispy onions and remaining thyme leaves. Serve with the green beans.
See more Cheese recipes