Chicken and spinach soup recipe
This warming bowl of soup is filled with baby spinach, chicken breast and red lentils. It is healthy, light tasting and filling making it great to bring into work or have as a light midweek meal. See method
- 25ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g baby spinach
- 1.2l chicken stock
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 250g red lentils, soaked overnight in cold water
- 1 bay leaf
If you don't have red lentils, you can try using green lentils instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a moderate heat. Sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened but not coloured. Add the lentils to the saucepan, mix well and cover with the stock.
- Add the bay leaf, then bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add the chicken at this point and simmer for a further 6-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked with no pink showing.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the spinach, then adjust the seasoning if necessary. Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
See more Soup recipes
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Make the soup, then leave to cool at room temperature. Freeze (without garnishes or toppings) in a rigid container, leaving a bit of space for expansion, for up to 1-3 months. Reheat either from frozen or defrost in the fridge overnight. Once piping hot, add toppings or garnishes and serve.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.