Add a little Mexican flair to your traditional breakfast muffin. These savoury muffins will pack a fiery chorizo and jalapeño punch. What's more, if you don’t have time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast they’re great to eat on the go.
- Heat oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
- Brush a 12-hole muffin tin with sunflower oil. Put the chorizo in a frying pan with the onion and gently fry for 5-10 minutes until the onions are soft and taking on the oil from the chorizo.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, polenta, mustard powder, baking powder and Cheddar cheese with 1 teaspoon salt and a good grind of fresh black pepper. Pour the buttermilk, sunflower oil, milk and eggs into a jug and whisk well to combine.
- Now add the wet ingredients and the pan contents to the bowl of flour, working quickly and lightly or the muffins will be tough.
- Divide the mix between the 12 oiled muffin wells (they will be quite full), and top each one with a jalapeño slice. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- While the muffins are baking, mash together the butter and chipotle paste. Chill until ready to use. Eat the muffins warm, split and spread with the chipotle butter.
Tip: Chipotle paste is a blend of dried, smoked chillies along with onions and tomatoes. It has a wonderful rich, hot smoky flavour and aroma. If you can’t find any, then use tomato purée with a dash of Tabasco and some Worcestershire sauce.
See more Breakfast recipes