Mexican food is great for getting kids involved and there’s plenty for them to do in this recipe to keep them entertained. These fajitas are perfect for a summer barbecue.
- Start with the marinade. Mix together the lime juice, garlic, hot sauce, vegetable oil and chilli powder in a large sealable freezer bag. Season with salt and pepper. This is a perfect chance for the kids to get involved shaking the bag to mix it all together. Set aside 1tbsp of this marinade for the sour cream.
- Add the pepper, onion and slices of chicken to the bag with the marinade.
- Place in a large bowl (in case the bag leaks) and rest in the fridge for 1½ hours.
- Next get the kids to mix the reserved marinade with the sour cream in a bowl. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using.
- Remove the meat and vegetables from the fridge and allow to rest for approximately half and hour in order to come up to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, add the rice to a small pot, cover in 300ml cold water. Rinse by moving the rice around with your hands. Pour off the white milky water and repeat twice more.
- Drain the excess water, leave to stand for 20 minutes. Add the 300ml of water and place the pot over a high heat. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and turn down to the lowest heat possible.
- Cook for 12 minutes, or until the rice is just cooked. Remove from the heat and allow to stand, covered, for 2 minutes before serving.
- Pierce the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers. Each skewer should hold 4 pieces each of the pepper and onion, and 3 pieces of the chicken - alternate as you thread them onto skewers. This is a good job for the kids, be sure to teach them good hygiene by washing their hands after touching raw chicken.
- Cook the skewers under the grill or on a barbecue until the meat is nicely charred, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side. Slice the meat at the thickest point to check that chicken is cooked completely and there is no pink showing inside.
- Lay the tortillas onto plates. Remove the meat and vegetables from the skewers and use to fill the wraps. Children will love learning how to fold the wraps!
- Garnish the fajitas with the flavoured sour cream and serve immediately.
See more Main recipes for kids
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.