Gluten-free spaghetti carbonara recipe
Classic Italian carbonara is gorgeously creamy and super satisfying, and our gluten-free version is no different. With crisp, salty bacon, plenty of garlic and a rich Parmesan and egg sauce, there's no wonder it's a firm family favourite. See method
- 350g (12oz) Free From spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed flat but still whole
- 1 x 180g pack smoked bacon lardons
- 80g (3oz) Parmesan or Grana Padano Cheese, finely grated
- 4 medium eggs and 2 yolks, beaten together
If you haven't got spaghetti, try using linguine instead
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti, following the pack instructions. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the oil, garlic and lardons and fry for 10 minutes until the fat has run from the bacon and the garlic is just golden. Remove the garlic cloves and take the pan off the heat.
- Mix half the grated cheese into the eggs and season well. Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving a cup of the cooking water for the sauce.
- Tip the spaghetti, 5 tbsp of the reserved cooking water and the egg and cheese mixture into the frying pan with the lardons. Make sure the spaghetti is piping hot to ensure the egg is cooked through.
- Toss the spaghetti in the sauce for about 1 minute, until it’s well coated and the eggs have thickened just slightly. Serve the spaghetti with the remaining cheese and a few grinds of black pepper.
See more Italian recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, cook eggs until the whites and yolks are solid.