Carbonara is the ultimate winter warmer and this easy pasta recipe turns it into a luxurious main that vegetarians can enjoy too! Earthy chestnut mushrooms and crunchy kale meld together lovingly in a velvety cheese sauce, which is tossed through authentic al dente pasta.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large nonstick frying pan. Add the mushrooms, season and then fry over a high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes until tender and golden. Add the garlic and thyme and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the linguine or tagliatelle and cook according to the pack instructions until al dente.
- Put the kale in a large bowl and cover with boiling water, set side for 5 minutes, then drain well and add to the pan with the mushrooms; season to taste, and mix well.
- In a jug, whisk together the eggs, cream and Parmesan along with a little seasoning.
- Check the pasta is al dente and then drain, reserving a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan along with the reserved cooking water. Over a very low heat, add the creamy egg mixture and the cheese, tossing the pasta continuously for a couple of minutes. Add the mushrooms and kale and toss again.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and sprinkle with extra Parmesan, if you like.
See more Pasta recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.