The perfect comforting supper - this classic mac and cheese has been given a delicious twist with added courgette, broccoli, peas and leek. An easy pasta recipe that makes a marvellous midweek meal.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Boil the kettle. Put half the peas in a heatproof bowl and pour over some freshly boiled water; set aside to defrost.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni following the packet instructions, adding the leek and broccoli for the final 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then stir in the remaining frozen peas and the diced courgette. Leave to stand for 1 minute, then drain.
- Meanwhile, drain the defrosted peas and transfer to a mixing bowl along with the pesto. Mash the peas with the pesto using a potato masher, until just combined. Pour over the cheese sauce, then add the grated courgette; mix well.
- Stir in the macaroni mixture, ensuring the pasta is evenly coated in the cheesy sauce. Transfer to a large baking dish and scatter over the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling and golden.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Pasta recipes