A fresh, low-fat alternative to a traditional beef lasagne, this twist on a comfort food favourite is a great introduction to white fish for children who might be fussy eaters.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Place the milk, bay and thyme to a pan and add the fish. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to stand for an additional 5 mins. Remove the fish and set aside.
- Pass the milk through a sieve and reserve, discarding the thyme and bay leaf. Allow to cool.
- To make the béchamel sauce, place a saucepan over a low-medium heat, melt the butter and quickly stir in the flour. Stir and cook for 2 mins. Gradually add the reserved milk and, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon, bring the sauce to a gentle boil until it thickens to a smooth custard-like consistency. Add 150g of the cheese and a pinch of salt.
- Now it’s time to assemble the lasagne – perfect for the kids to get involved with! Pour a little of the sauce into a large ovenproof dish and spread evenly to make a thin layer. Add enough lasagne sheets to cover the sauce but don’t allow them to overlap.
- Add another thin layer of sauce, then flake some of the fish on top, then add a thin layer of spinach and carrots. Place the next layer of lasagne sheets down and repeat until there are 3 layers of pasta, sauce and fish. The lasagne should be the top layer.
- Ask the children to press the last layer of lasagne down with their hands - so the béchamel sauce is spread evenly throughout. Top with the remainder béchamel sauce and get the kids to sprinkle over the last of the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins, or until the lasagne is piping hot and the cheesy topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Easy recipes for kids