Using lemonade in the batter will really get the kids excited for this entertaining take on a family favourite. If you don’t have time to make your own tartare, don’t worry - just use a good quality jar of pre-made sauce.
- Preheat the deep fat fryer to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C . Alternatively, you can fill a large saucepan halfway with sunflower oil. Use a cooking thermometer to heat to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lemonade and flour to make the batter. Set aside. This is a perfect job for the kids while you prepare the fish.
- Cut the cod fillets into 8 individual goujons.
- Dip each goujon in lemonade batter until completely covered.
- Carefully lower the fish into the deep-fat fryer or saucepan and cook for 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. If the oil is hot enough and you don’t keep the fish in there for too long, the food won’t end up greasy.
- Remove the goujons from the fryer using a slotted spoon and set aside to drain on kitchen paper. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with the lime segments and some dollops of tartare sauce.
See more Fish and seafood recipes