Whether you're having a romantic dinner for two or you simply want to make this just for yourself, this spicy salmon is a great dish to add to your midweek repertoire. Marinated with piri piri spices, the flaky, juicy fish is made impossibly more delicious combined with zesty pearl barley and lightly charred avocado.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the pearl barley in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soured cream, lime juice and honey. Season to taste.
- Preheat a griddle pan. Add the spring onions and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and roughly chop. Toss through the barley along with the lime zest, parsley and some seasoning. Keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine the piri-piri with the oil. Brush generously over the salmon. Return the griddle to the hob over a medium heat. Sear the salmon for 1 minute on each side, then transfer to a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the avocado halves, cut-side down, on the griddle and cook for 5 minutes, until lightly charred. To serve, divide the barley, avocado and salmon between 2 plates and drizzle over the dressing.
See more Fish recipes