Combine classic cheese straws with the delicious flavours of a quintessential Ploughman's for the ultimate party nibble. Roast ham, pickle and mature Cheddar are layered between puff pastry and baked until crisp and golden – a real must-have at your next street party or picnic.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick baking paper. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board to the thickness of a pound coin.
- Spread the pickle over the pastry, then scatter the ham and two-thirds of the cheese over one half. Fold over the other half to enclose the filling, then press down to seal.
- Roll out again to the thickness of a pound coin. Trim the edges with a sharp knife to make a neat rectangle, then cut into 12 long strips. Cut each strip in half to make 24.
- Brush each strip with beaten egg, then twist at each end. Arrange on the prepared baking sheets. Brush again with beaten egg, then scatter over the remaining cheese. Cover and chill for at least 10 minutes, or overnight.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden. Serve hot or leave to cool completely. Store in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze straws raw, well wrapped, for up to a month. Bake from frozen, adding an extra 1-2 minutes to cooking time in method.
See more Cheese recipes