Fancy and flavoursome, this floral-inspired cake – with pretty pink petals, sweet raspberries and cream – is perfect for a special occasion.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease and line 3 x 18cm (8in) loose-bottomed cake tins and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then fold in the flour, almonds, baking powder and lemon zest (if the mixture feels too thick, add a splash of milk – it should fall off a spoon when tapped).
- Divide the mixture evenly between the three tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out on to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a large bowl, whip the mascarpone with the cream and icing sugar, until stiff enough to just hold its shape. Fold in the raspberries and set aside.
- For the icing, beat the butter and icing sugar in a bowl, until light and fluffy. Add the lemon zest, milk and a few drops of food colouring, until the desired shade of pink is reached.
- To assemble, put one sponge on a serving plate and spread with half the filling mixture. Top with the second sponge and repeat with the remaining filling. Top with the third and final sponge. Using a spatula, spread the frosting over the cake and scatter over the rose petals.
See more Mother's Day recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.